20 July 2010

Moving Up Again in Le Tour Challenge

With only five stages remaining in The Tour, things are heating up both in the Pyrenées and among participants in the Le Tour Challenge. While I'm still pulling for Andy Schleck, things aren't looking too good after yesterday's chaingate. Contador's decision to attack certainly caused a great debate among the riders as well as the viewing public and punditry. I don't have a strong opinion on this one, but it's clear that this will cheapen a presumed Contador victory.

Meanwhile in the Le Tour Challenge, it has been sad to see Jeff K slip in the overall standings, down to third. I was really hoping that someone in my age bracket would win it all, but still, he really represented us 40-something riders well and can still move up in the ranks.

In my last blog entry on 7/15, I was pleasantly surprised to find myself in 15th place overall after a long, hard Yellow Barn Road climb. At that point I assumed that I'd be slowly moving down the leader board through the rest of the last week. I took a break day on Sunday while a bunch of weekend warriors fought hard for stage points. I was quite surprised to learn that I only lost one position as a result of my rest day, and I was emboldened to fight to move up a few spots during the week. I looked at typical winning weekday stats and realized that there is a lot to be gained by riding hard during the week and riding easier on weekends. Sure enough, I'm back up to 15th overall, and looking for more points through the week.

Yesterday I did my typical Lansing Ringwood Midline Snyder Hill loop with an added couple of twists in order to get good vertical stats and keep my speeds up high. I added an extra loop of Thomas Rd and around to Ellis Hollow Rd., and also added some extra flats at the end, down Aurora to Cayuga. I believe that these add-ons resulted in getting me further up in the standings, and today I'll be scrambling for a few more points. Also, hopefully I'll be doing another 80 mile ride before the weekend in my desperate last efforts to move further up the standings. While this is a blast, I'm really looking forward to a break in the action after the weekend!




No comments: