18 October 2009

Becoming aware of adult cycling


At a certain point in my early teen years I became aware that adults rode bikes competitively and for fitness and adventure, not just for a casual ride to the store. This was long before cycle racing was a known element in most parts of the U.S. This awareness came to me around 1974 or 1975, thanks to my neighbor John's dad. John's dad (also named John) had a Peugeot road bike which was one of the coolest things I ever saw. Hopefully the picture is an accurate representation of this bike...I'm sure the younger John can weigh in on this. Seeing John head out and return from his cycling adventures really made an impression on me, and made me want to do something similar. This was years before the movie Breaking Away was released (1979), a motion picture that really raised the profile of cycle racing in the U.S.

While most kids were content to ride around the neighborhood, I always wanted to explore beyond these artificial boundaries. When I lived in Kobe, Japan (1972-73 when I was between 10 and 11 years old), I adventured all over the city, exploring nooks and crannies without my folks worrying about me. They started worrying after one particularly wreckless adventure. I neglected to stop at a stop sign and rode right into traffic. It was a tiny car that hit me, and more damage was done to the car than to my bike. I went flying and sprained my ankle, while the poor driver had a big ol' dent in the front of his machine. I was overwhelmed with guilt for years to come after the man came to visit me with a giant fruit basket and many bows of apology.

That incident clearly made me more aware that I had to be responsible in traffic and follow rules of the road like everyone else. I honestly have no recollection if John's dad wore a helmet, but I was riding with a helmet by around '76, for sure.

John's dad make quite the impression. I must have peppered him with questions about his cycling adventures, but my childhood memories are unfortunately very spotty. See John's comments below about his dad.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't recall him ever wearing a helmet, nor did he ever wear a hat while skiing unless it got well below zero. He never lived in Colorado, just a simple farm boy from Lisle, NY, I'm not sure from where his Coloradoesque behaviors derived, most Lisle residents are notorious for being hayseeds, not that there's anything wrong with being a hayseed. I'll get some detail from him on his 70's cycling adventures or misadventures the next time I'm home, perhaps even get some pics for your blog if I can dig them up though I can't recall seeing many or any for that matter. I do believe that the old Peugeot is still in his basement, poor old relic needs it's picture taken, maybe even a ride. My favorite story of his would have to be when he took on several (8 seems about right) of his skiing/cycling buddies in a bike race. They were to ride in relay fashion while he was on his own, of course he lost but it was closer than expected. The best part was the anticipation for months of the big race and all the trash talking that took place. At 10 years of age that sort of thing makes you feel like your dad is superman.