31 December 2009

Choosing a Helmet


A new helmet is on my upgrade wish list for the new year. My current mid-range Bell helmet is merely adequate—it's a bit heavy and on hot days it's quite stifling. I've been browsing roadbikereview.com and other review sites to get a sense of my choices, and it's pretty tough going. On RBR, there are a few helmets that get a large volume of reviews (Giro Pneumo and Atmos and Bell Sweep and Eclipse), and then the number of reviews drop off substantially. I like what I read about how like and cool the Atmos is, but the price is pretty steep. What is the cooling effect worth? That's the big question that I need to figure out. Atmos is all about having as many vents as possible, while helmets like Lazer have a different approach, with few vents that are much larger, and a seemingly innovative Rollsys system with a rolling wheel on the top of the helmet to secure it too your head. The Lazer Genesis is around $150, the Atmos is around $135, and the Bell Sweep is $120. I can't imagine spending over $150 on a helmet...seems so much to spend, but I'm open-minded.


If you have any suggestions, I'd love your input.

No comments: