04 May 2010

A group or B group?

After being subscribed to the "Cookies" racing team listserv for just two days, I must admit that I'm fairly overwhelmed by the friendly and supportive welcome I've received. It's definitely an intensive immersion into a world that I previously knew so little about.

Today I decided to race the Tour de Syracuse Road Race on May 23rd, a 55 mile, 2-lap event. This gives me a few weeks to get prepared, and it should be load of fun.

Tonight was another fun Tuesday night race, and once again I joined the A group. I'm beginning to think that I need to try the B group, since I tend to get dropped just at the end of each lap, and I'm thinking that the B group would help me to better learn tactics. I can't say that I'm disappointed with how I did—I was feeling so much stronger than the last Tuesday race, and I'm learning better about when to push and when to hold back. Still, I think I'll learn more from a few turns with the B group. I averaged 23.4 mph on lap 1 and 22.3 on the second, so I'm definitely getting faster.

Photo by Keith Thompson.

No comments: