19 May 2010

Tour de Syracuse training week

Today I managed to squeeze in a total of 36 miles of hilly riding before and after work, as I sought out a more balanced race week training strategy than my first attempt. Finding the time to train in the midst of work and family obligations isn't easy, but it's a fun challenge. My morning extended airport commute was an example of using every available moment. Gail had a workshop, so she got the boys to school and I got an extra 15 minutes of early morning cycling bliss. I love figuring out continuous improvements in the morning route, and today I took the shortcut through the west end of the Cornell campus over to Warren Rd., then down Warren all the way to Hillcrest, a road I've never cycled on before. Then it was over to Triphammer, Asbury, and back on East Shore Dr. to work.

The best part of today's ride was that workers closed down the downhill lane of East Shore Dr. to fix the shoulder and add new barriers, which meant that traffic slowed down, and I was able to own the entire lane on the long, moderate descent! What a great way to start the day.

Now my plan is to taper off the training in advance of Sunday's race. I'll just do the morning commute tomorrow and Friday, followed by another moderate 10 mile ride on Saturday, and see how that works for boosting my energy level and performance for race day. My bike racing books are pretty vague about this whole tapering business...

No comments: